Hi, I'm Nkenge
A versatile digital marketing professional with a knack for solving problems, streamlining processes and making social media, content, email and SEO programs awesome.
Whether it be brand awareness, audience acquisition, event promotion, recruiting or fundraising, I can help research, plan, create and execute a company’s continuing or campaign-based goals.
My goal is to get YOUR goal accomplished.
How I Can Help You
In-depth research is the foundation of a successful plan of action. Do you know what your company has done previously? What companies in your industries have done? Best practices?
Help coworkers, managers and other departments stay on track with a solid plan. Do you know what the goals are? Who your target audience is? The metrics of success? The key performance indicators? Deadlines for various stages of the project?
Help create graphics, write content, and design the overall user experience based on the research and plan. Does your design help accomplish your overall goal? Does your writing have a consistent voice?
Deploy! Deploy! Deploy! There’s only so much research, planning and other prep that you can do. At some point, you just have to let the project take off.
There's always something you could do differently in retrospect. Analyzing the data on a consistent basis, drawing insight and sharing that information in a meaningful way, guarantees that improvements can be made and notes made about what to do next time.
My Experience So Far
Senior Social Media Manager
Trusted Media Brands, Inc. –Taste of Home Magazine
Milwaukee, WI | Jan 17- Present
Worked with internal teams to manage and execute organic social media content strategies with the goal of growing web traffic and engagement. Responsible for our Facebook page’s 6M+ followers and the 48+ daily posts.
- Increased Facebook referral traffic by 70% year over year by publishing 4X more, and collaborating with the editorial team to produce 2X more social-focused content.
- Increased Facebook followers by 6%, 250K new within 12 months
- Reduced editorial content turnaround from 2 weeks to 4 days.
- Successfully developed and executed sponsored Facebook Live events.
- Increased link clicks per post by 6%.
- Jumped to #3 in Facebook engagement based on The Association of Magazine Media’s Q4 2018 Social Media Report
- Provided training and support to corporate and field teams in regards to social media platforms and tools.
- Established weekly social media huddles with the editorial team.
- Produced content packaging guidelines for the editorial team.
- Interpreted data and shared insights to key stakeholders.
- Refined social media content selection, packaging, scheduling, and publishing.
Website & Social Media Specialist
Bethesda Lutheran Communities
Watertown, WI | Oct 14- Dec 16
Worked with internal and external teams to grow brand awareness, engagement, job applications and donations using organic and paid social media, paid search, website and landing pages, SEO, SEM, and email. In many cases responsible for all copy and design work.
- Increased Bethesda Facebook followers by 40% and content engagement from 1% to 4.5%.
- Increased visibility and engagement with key influencers by founding a Twitter chat.
- Developed and executed Instagram engagement photo contest acquiring 2.5K+ votes and emails.
- Applied for and received S10K per month Google Adwords Grant for nonprofits
- Helped lead team working on the successful $100K website redesign on WordPress.
- Developed and executed end-of-year email fundraising campaign which raised over $50K and increased total end-of-year donations by 30%.
- Launched Bethesda’s paid search program.
- Launched customized campaign landing pages optimized for search.
- Developed and executed word of mouth, social advertising, and email communications for conference events, resulting in higher booth engagement and lead acquisition.
- Developed Bethesda’s first social media training curriculum and provided training to more than 20 employees across 13 states.
- Managed Facebook advertising budget for recruitment campaigns and reported on results to teams and leadership.
- Interviewed, hired and managed three external vendors.
Communications Teaching Assistant
Marquette University, Diederich College of Communication
Milwaukee, WI | Aug 12- May 14
As part of my MA in Communications, I worked teaching undergraduate classes on public speaking and workplace communications.
- Taught over 120+ students.
- Consistently told by students, "This class is actually fun."
Website & Content Intern
Milwaukee, WI | Aug 12- May 14
Helped with marketing the Greater Milwaukee area as a top choice for business, convention, and leisure travel by managing and updating web properties and liaising with organization members.
- Increased the number of organization partners involved with an ongoing campaign.
- Designed and wrote copy for the 2012 Milwaukee Air & Water Show web page.
- Created a custom Google Map for the Harley Davidson 110th Anniversary scenic routes.
Web Marketing Intern
Baltimore, MD | Feb 12- Apr 12
Helped nonprofit gain brand awareness and community engagement in fundraising campaigns by optimizing campaign pages and publishing meaningful blog content.
- Wrote 4 donor-centric blog posts.
- Created and wrote copy for community fundraising pages.
- Observed partner pitches and presentations.
Social Media Intern
Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development
Baltimore, MD | Feb 12- Apr 12
As part of the Governor of Maryland's Summer Internship Program, I managed the social media accounts for the War of 1812 Bicentennial Commemoration.
- Developed and executed a content calendar for the Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Developed a social media action plan for a smooth transition at the end of the internship program.
- Learned what it takes to promote and launch such a massive event, essentially statewide.
- Learned how to efficiently monitor the social conversation related to the Commemoration.
The Natural Mane
Baltimore, Maryland | Nov 2009-Nov 2011
The Natural Mane was a personal blog I launched that focused on my natural hair journey.
- Consistently increased views month over month, going from 1,200 to as much as 6,700 views per month.
- Gained 75,000 views through a combination of organic social media, community engagement and SEO alone.
- Gained 85 dedicated blog followers.
More About Me
MA in Communication with a track in Advertising and PR
Coppin State University
BA in Global Studies with a track in Marketing
HubSpot Academy Social Media Certification
Member of the Board of Directors
Milwaukee Children’s Choir
Milwaukee, WI | Mar 19- Present
What's On My Mind
What People Say About Me
Nkenge is a strategic, passionate and innovative team member. In the two years that I’ve worked alongside Nkenge, I’ve witnessed her consistently pushing herself to learn and introduce new ideas to the team.
I am amazed by how much social traffic has grown since we started this journey ... Your dedication to trying to hit these numbers shows with how we've been able to bounce back year over year.
Curious To Learn More?
Let's connect! LinkedIn messages work best for me.